Thanks to some recent good play the Preds are closing in on clinching a playoff spot. The only question remaining is can they hold off Detroit, LA and Colorado for the 5th spot. I personally hope we stay in the 5th-6th spot to likely play Vancouver or Phoenix in the first round.
Other thoughts since my last post:
* Pekka Rinne is playing very well and thus the climb in the standings. He must stay at this level for a deep playoff run to happen.
* Did you know the Preds have more goals against than any other playoff bound team in the west? Yet they sit in 4th place.
* David Legwand lights the lamp again last night against Florida. When Legwand scores consistently on offense, the Preds are an entirely different team.
* Congrats to Patrick Hornqvist on his 30th goal of the season. Where would the Preds be without his play and big time goals this year? I would guess 9th place at best.
* Cody Franson leads all rookie defensemen with a +15 in the plus/minus category. What a good insurance policy until Grebeshkov comes back. More importantly I think this means Dan Hamhuis will be leaving after the season because the Preds have Franson as a 6th D-man option. Hamhuis will not be offered as much money to stay a Pred because Franson has shown he is ready for the NHL at a much cheaper price than Hamhuis.
Five games to go(3 home, 2 away) and let's get healthy(Arnott/Grebeshkov/Ward)