The long wait is over and Preds Fan is ready to blog all season long. Here are my keys to a successful season and playoff run:
1. Health- injuries took their toll on our scoring last year with Arnott, Sullivan, Erat and Legwand all missing considerable time. Due to payroll constrictions our top 6 has to stay healthy and productive all season long.
2. #6- Right now Mike Santorelli is the last of the top 6 forwards. Coach Trotz has to find the right person to mesh with Legwand/Erat.
3. 30/30- For the Preds 30 goals from Legwand/Erat each along with the expected production from the top line of Arnott/Sullivan/DuMont would get past the 90 point plateau and assure a good seed for the playoffs to avoid a first round matchup with San Jose/Detroit.
4. Klein will be fine- A lot has been made of Kevin Klein's importance of replacing steady Greg Zanon at the #4 defenseman spot. Although we will lose a little on the defensive side(Zanon very steady on D and great shot blocker), the offensive side gain will be better. Klein will help with those frustrating scoring droughts the Preds experience throughout the season.
5. Good start a must- The Preds don't need to fall behind like last year and have to press so hard to make up ground at the end of the season, especially being a more passive offensive team. Getting off to a good start and THEN relying on the defense/goaltending when ahead in the standing is the way to go.
Hard to believe the season is here, but glad it is. Another blog coming later tonight after the game.