The 2 game stint of Dan Ellis in goal came to an end in the 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars Sunday. With the game 2-1 in favor of the Stars and the Preds' Steve Sullivan in the box for a double minor high stick, Dan Ellis' attempt to clear the puck goes over the glass for a delay of game penalty resulting in a 5 on 3 Stars power play. Dallas scores and in essence game over.
Talk about a grand opportunity and spotlight for Pecca Rinne. Think about it. You are rested. The team needs you to stop the losing streak at 1 game to keep the second half run going. You return against the arch rival and a top NHL team in the Red Wings. You will face lots of skilled shots and a power play clicking at a rate of 27%. Slam the door and you are the man, solidifying even more your place as #1 and an emerging elite NHL goaltender. What an opportunity for Pecca to shine.
Other thoughts regarding 4-1 loss to Dallas Stars........
* Jason Arnott continues hot streak and solid year with another goal. The captain is really leading by example.
* Power play didn't tally but showed improvement in regards to quality chances, especially in the 2nd period. If they don't start getting the puck in the net on power plays though they can look back at the end of the year and easily find why they didn't make the playoffs.
* Short handed goal allowed and another full 2 minute 5 on 3 power play were hard to stomach and easily the reason they lost.
* Martin Erat -3 on the night, ouch!!!
* Lets go Steve Sullivan. It is time to produce the points, we need you.
Red Wings, then Blues, then Bruins. All at home thank goodness. If you give me a win over the Blues and 1 of the remaining 2 I would be tickled pink and take it right now. LETS GO PREDS!!